FM Preparation Workshop, July 26 to August 13, 2021.
More details and registrations will be available in May/June.
Past Workshop (Preparation Workshop 2020):
To help new students prepare for the four core courses this fall semester, we will offer a Financial Mathematics (FM) Preparation Workshop for the third time.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, this year we will offer the workshop online, Monday through Friday, from July 20th to August 7th, 2020. Further details to be announced.
This three weeklong (15-day) workshop will cover various topics including: mathematics, statistics, econometrics, corporate finance, fixed income, and programming with Python. These topics will be customized for the FM program at NC State. Our records indicate that students with a good background in those areas tend to do well in the FM courses. Therefore, the workshop will prepare you for core courses such as ST 501/502, FIM 528, MA 547, FIM 548, FIM 549 and ECG 766, etc.
For those who come from a non-English teaching environment (such as China), this is also a great opportunity to get used to the English teaching environment and prepare for your first semester in the US.
In addition, students will have the opportunity to work on a small project on finance and statistics; which will pave the foundation for a semester project in the future. Project experience has been a very crucial element in securing internships and full-time positions for our students.
Here is the instructors’ information (subject to change):
- Mathematics: Prof. Negash Medhin. Dr. Medhin is a FM faculty member and a professor of mathematics.
- Statistics: Prof. Sujit Ghosh. Dr. Ghosh is a FM faculty member and a professor of statistics. He has be teaching ST 501 for several years.
- Econometrics: Prof. Denis Pelletier. Dr. Pelletier is a FM Faculty member and professor of economics. He has taught MA/FIM 528 before.
- Corporate Finance: Prof. Bartley Danielsen. Dr. Danielsen is a professor of finance with many years of experience teaching corporate finance.
- Fixed Income: Prof. Richard Ellson. Dr. Ellson is a FM faculty and has many years of industry experience. The knowledge he brings to the program is vital, and he will also teach MA 591 (Fixed Income) this fall.
If you have any questions, please send an email to Financial_Mathematics@ncsu.edu.